What is there to do in Carrollton?
A Cheat Sheet
“I never realized the true beauty of the rural countryside until his visit. The backdrop gave the historic attractions more ambiance and took us back in time…truly invigorating.”
Start with General Butler State Resort Park
- Tour the Butler-Turpin State Historic House
- Don’t miss the Butler Family Cemetery to the northeast of the house
- Look at Carrollton from the overlook at the top of the hill, what a beautiful view of the Ohio River Valley
- Hike the many park trails
- Play a game of miniature golf
- Go for a paddle boat ride on Butler Lake
- Pay your respects at the Kentucky Veterans Memorial
- Have a picnic in the park or meal at Two River’s Restaurant, located inside the park lodge.
Venturing Along Highway 227 toward Carrollton
- Visit the Butler Outlet Mall
- Stop in at Traderbakers Flea Market for a treasure hunt
- Interstate Greenhouse is just past the Interstate entries – incredible annuals all year round!
- Checkout the Carroll County Fairground behind Kroger & Walmart, there is always something happening!
- If you are looking for chicken for a picnic – drive closer into Carrollton and stop at Cooper’s Family Restaurant – chicken out of this world!
Driving East on Highway 42 towards Ghent/Warsaw
- Tour the Historic Masterson House on the Ohio River
- While at the Masterson House enjoy the view of the Ohio River and imagine all of the pioneers that passed this point on the flat boats and keelboats packed full of all of their belongings
- Note the Highland House B&B on the National Register
- Drive towards Ghent and view the Industry along the way
- Note the Poet’s House B&B in Ghent
- Drive further to the Markland Dam, have a picnic on the grounds and visit the observation deck with detailed displays
- You can drive across the Markland Dam and visit Vevay, Indiana and their small shops
- While there visit Switzerland County’s Visitor’s Center and get times of museums
- Belterra Casino is also along this same river bank – see who they have for entertainment
- Drive back across the Markland Dam…
- Now, breathe that fresh air – just kidding
- Venture into the little town of Warsaw and cut across back roads to visit the Kentucky Speedway
- The Kentucky Speedway has a terrific gift shop and tours of the track are available
Driving West on Highway 42 (or Highland Avenue as we call it), leads to the historical district – Downtown Carrollton
- Before you reach downtown Carrollton, a left turn onto 11th Street/Lock Road (toward the hospital), will lead to Lock #1 on the Kentucky River. Follow 11th Street past the hospital, past the back entrance of General Butler State Resort Park until the road dead-ends. The Kentucky River Lock #1 will be on the right. The lock is open Memorial Day through October to allow boaters access up the Kentucky River. Frankfort, our state’s capital is not too far away! This is also a wonderful place to read or book or just stop and take in the scenery
- Driving back along Highway 42, the residential portion of Highland Avenue, not General William O. Butler’s home – formerly a B&B – now a private residence again
- On the other side of Highland you will note the Seppenfeld House
- Once you have entered the business/downtown area – you will see the Visitor’s Center on the right (red awning with Louisville Cardinal – we rent!)
- Visit our downtown area, recently several of our buildings participated in the Kentucky Renaissance Facade Grant.
- Note the history banners along the lamp posts. Enjoy a walk through downtown reading the history banners along the way.
- If you are looking for that perfect view of the Ohio River – have breakfast (or lunch) at Welch’s Riverside Restaurant on Main Street
- Check the Carroll County Public Library for the month’s featured display
- Across the street visit the Old Stone Jail – when crime was once at a minimum
- While in the Courthouse Square – wander inside the Courthouse. Notice the bronze marker where the 1937 Flood high mark reminds all of us of the power of the Ohio River
- If its dinner time or you still haven’t had lunch – try Captain Hooks Seafood with their beautiful deck view down Main Street towards Point Park
- If you enjoyed a little too much dinner, take a walk along our new River Walk and take in a beautiful sunset over the Ohio River
- Travel into Point Park at the end of Main Street (also on the River Walk), the view is amazing!
- Fish, boat or have a picnic at the Point, notice the tension in the water “at the Point” where the Ohio and Kentucky Rivers meet
Continuing on 42 West, out of downtown Carrollton…
- Community Feed & Seed occasionally will let visitors watch cattle handling and forage
- A left turn on Highway 55, then a right turn onto Highway 549 will lead to “River Valley Winery” (phone number 502-750-0594). Enjoy a glass of their award winning wine
- Should you continue to travel west on Highway 42 within approximately 15 minutes, you will be in Bedford.
- If you decide to stay on Highway 36 and travel along the Ohio River, cross the Ohio River bridge into downtown Madison, Indiana.
****Stop by the Visitor’s Center for more information on the attractions and/or history of the area. We will find something for YOU to do!